Friday, March 29, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

It has been unusually cold here in South Louisiana for this time of year.  Cold weather always makes me hungry for soup.  I make a delicious and healthy chicken noodle soup, but it takes a bit of babysitting on the stove.  My recent ankle surgery makes it impossible for me to stand and cook.  So, I thought why not try it in the crockpot?  At first I didn't think it would work because I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and was afraid they would dry out if cooked too long.  But, I tried anyway and guess what?  It worked beautifully!  Here's how I did it:


CROCKPOT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
salt/pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cup uncooked egg noodles (I don't measure. I just grab a couple handfuls)
2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped

Place onion, celery, and carrots in crockpot.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

 

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper then place them on top of the vegetables.


Pour in the broth and water.


Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.  Then, remove chicken to a plate and shred with 2 forks.


Return chicken to the crockpot.  Add in the uncooked egg noodles and fresh parsley.  Cover and continue to cook on high for 30 minutes or until the noodles are done.


This soup was so good!  The chicken wasn't dry at all!  I think I've found my new way to make chicken soup!  Give it a try and see how easy it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment