Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Shrimp and Crab Cornbread Casserole

One summer when I was in college I worked at a Senior Citizens Center.  Seniors would come for the day, eat lunch and play games, do crafts, etc.  My boss, Mrs. Sylvia, gave me a recipe for a Mexican Cornbread Casserole.  It was made with ground beef, onions, cornmeal, cheese.  It's so yummy!  I make it often.  But, I was thinking, how could I change this recipe?  What new flavors could I add to it?  Seafood!  I decided to use shrimp and crab but you could use crawfish, too.  Here's what I came up with:




SHRIMP AND CRAB CORNBREAD CASSEROLE

1 cup cooked shrimp
1 cup crab meat
1 box corn muffin mix (Jiffy)
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 can cream corn
1 small onion, diced
1/2 a bell pepper, diced
1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Cajun or Creole Seasoning

*Tip: pick through the crab meat to make sure there are no shells.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a big bowl combine corn muffin mix, egg, milk and cream corn.




Add onion and bell pepper.


Mix well then gently fold in shrimp and crab that as been seasoned with Creole Seasoning (I use Tony Chacherres).





Don't over mix.  You don't want to break up the seafood too much.

Butter a cast iron skillet (or a casserole dish).


Pour the batter into the buttered skillet.



Top with the shredded pepper jack cheese (as much or as little as you like).


Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.


Let it cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.




 This casserole is awesome!  It has a slight sweetness from the corn muffin mix and a great spice from the creole seasoning and the pepper jack cheese.  It's very filling too.  My daughter absolutely loved it!  I did, too.  I went back for seconds (and maybe I ate it for lunch the next day and maybe I want some more right now).  You will definitely want to make this one!
   

2 comments:

  1. I used to make one like this. Lost recipe. This one is closest to it . I will try it tonight. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete