Sunday, October 7, 2012

Birthday Party!

Today is my nephew's birthday.  He's five.  When I asked him what he wants me to get him for his birthday present, he said, "A pirate sword.  I guess that would be alright?"  How cute is that?

A few weeks ago it was my son's birthday.  He's thirteen.  When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he said, "A golf cart."  I wish they could stay five forever.

With all these birthdays, I have birthday party on the brain.  So, I thought I'd post some recipes and ideas that are party favorites.

The first recipe is a classic.  And, yes I know you can buy it in a bag, but I promise it is sooo much better when you make it yourself.

CHEX MIX

1/2 stick butter or margarine (butter tastes better)
1 tsp season salt (use Tony's for a little kick)
4 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
7 cups Chex cereal (any combo of corn, wheat, rice, or all of one)
1 cup goldfish crackers or cheez-its
1 cup peanuts
1 cup pretzels

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Melt butter.  Add season salt, onion & garlic powders and worcestershire sauce.  Stir well.  In a large bowl, stir together Chex, crackers, peanuts and pretzels.  Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture and stir well.  Pour onto a baking sheet.  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Spread onto paper towels to cool.  Store in an airtight container.


*As a variation, you can substitute a packet of ranch dressing mix and omit the worcestershire, season salt and onion and garlic powders.

The next recipe is my son's favorite party food.  They are always a hit at any party and are so easy to make.

PIGS IN A BLANKET

1 tube refrigerated biscuits (pillsbury)
20 Lil Smokies cocktail weiners

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut each biscuit in half.  Wrap each half around one lil smoky.  Lay seam side down on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, until golden and puffy.


My son's favorite dessert is pudding on a cloud.  Do you remember that?  It's just chocolate pudding sitting on some cool whip.  Well, for his birthday this year, I made him a Pudding on a Cloud Cake.  Here's how I did it.

PUDDING ON A CLOUD CAKE

1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients to make it)
1 (8oz) container cool whip, thawed
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding mix (4 serving size)
1 cup cold milk

Make cake according to package directions using two 9 inch round cake pans.  Let them cool completely.  Cut each cake round in half horizontally, so you have 4 thin round layers.
In a large bowl, mix milk and pudding mix until well blended.  Fold in thawed cool whip until the frosting is well blended and light and fluffy.  Place one cake layer onto cake plate.  Frost with a bit of frosting.  Place second layer on top.  Continue layering and frosting.  When you place the last layer, frost top and sides.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.






The next thing I want to show you is how to make a sturdy reusable gift bag.
Take an empty cereal box and cut off the top flaps.  Leave the bottom intact.  Cover the box with wrapping paper, taping it well.  Then, using a hole punch, punch two holes near the top of the box on each side.  Thread some ribbon through the holes and tie the ends together.  Easy and a great way to reuse and recycle!



So, there are a few ideas for your next birthday party, gift-wrapped just for you!  It may not be a golf-cart, but I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment