Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dole Whip!

If you've ever been to Disney World, you probably know what a Dole Whip is.  It is a pineapple soft serve ice cream (maybe more like a mix between ice cream and sherbet) that is so delicious and refreshing!  You can get it at Magic Kingdom in Adventureland.  There is a little stand called Aloha Isle, which sells this yummy creation that it is a must-have whenever we go to Disney World.  I don't know which I love more, The Pirates of the Caribbean ride or a Dole Whip.  It's a toss up.

Here's a photo of a Dole Whip:




Well, we are planning our next trip to Walt Disney World so I went online looking at various websites for info and tips.  Imagine my excitement when I found an easy recipe to make a Dole Whip at home!  Woohoo!  I couldn't wait to give it a try.  Especially since it didn't require an ice cream maker (mine is broken).

Here's how I did it:
First of all, let me say that I cut this recipe in half.  I didn't know how it would turn out so I didn't want to waste.  But, it came out so good, I wish I would have made the whole recipe!  You can cut it in half very easily if you want.  (By the way, half of 1/3 cup is 2 1/2 Tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon - I had to look that up so I thought I'd share)


DOLE WHIP

2 (20oz) cans Dole crushed pineapple with juice
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple and reserve 2 TBS of the juice.  In a blender, place pineapple, reserved pineapple juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and sugar.  Cover and blend until smooth.  Pour into 2 quart size freezer bags and store flat in the freezer.  Freeze for 1 1/2 hours or until slushy.  In a large bowl, beat cold whipping cream until whipped.  (Tip:  if your bowl is chilled, the cream will whip faster)  GENTLY, stir pineapple slush into whipped cream until slightly blended.  Return to freezer until completely frozen.  If you like it soft (like soft serve) don't freeze as long.  If you do freeze it solid, let it sit on the counter for a few minutes before scooping out.


It may not be as pretty as the swirled Dole Whip from Aloha Isle, but it tastes just as good!

So, try this recipe and pretend you're in Disney World.  It reminds me of a perfect summer day with the family.  We just rode Pirates of the Caribbean and then we stroll over to get a Dole Whip, sit on a bench, and I drink in the family time.  People ask "Why do you keep going back to Disney year after year?"  That's why.  I get to see my teenage daughter act like a little kid again because she sees a princess.  I watch my son and husband acting silly while wearing Goofy ears.  No calls from work.  No dentist appointments.  No did you eat your vegetables.  Just pure family time.  I call it being in the "Disney Bubble".  It won't be long until the kids have grown up and moved away and family time will be a rarity.  I'm just trying to drink in as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment