Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sesame Chicken and Roasted Broccoli

As stated in previous posts, like this one:

http://hotsouthernmessblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/chinese-food-at-home.html    

I only like Chinese food if I make it myself.  I like being able to control the ingredients in my food.  This is a recipe I did not include in the previous post on Chinese food so I thought I'd share it.  My recipe for Sesame Chicken is really good and easy.  Plus, I "oven-fry" the chicken so it's a little bit better for you.  Also, I'll share how I get my family to eat broccoli!  You heard me right, they eat broccoli.

SESAME CHICKEN

Chicken:
2 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 egg
1 cup corn flake crumbs (zip in food processor or smash in a zip bag)
season salt
flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a plate with flour.  Line a second plate with corn flake crumbs seasoned with season salt.  Crack the egg into a bowl add a little bit of water (about a tablespoon or so) and beat.  Dredge cubed chicken in flour, then egg wash, then seasoned corn flake crumbs.  When they are all coated, place them on a cookie sheet and bake in the preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.  Flip them over then bake for 5 minutes more.  Meanwhile, make the sauce.

Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBS cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 TBS apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
2 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
1 TBS sesame oil
1 TBS canola oil
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
sesame seeds

In a saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in the chicken broth, water, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, canola oil, ketchup, hot sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

When chicken is done, toss it with the sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds (as much or little as you like).  Serve over hot rice.  Garnish with green onions, if desired.



Here is my secret for getting my family to eat broccoli.  Roast it!  That's it.  So simple, but it completely changes the taste.  Delicious!

ROASTED BROCCOLI

1 head broccoli, cleaned and cut into florets
oil
salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place the broccoli on a cookie sheet and toss it with a little oil (a couple of tablespoons or so - not too much!)  Then season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir it around to make sure it's evenly coated with oil and seasoning.  Put in the oven and roast for about 10-15 minutes or until edges are just starting to crisp up.




Who knew Chinese at home could be so quick, easy and healthy, too!  I hope you give these recipes a try.  And maybe you're picky eaters will like broccoli, too?  It could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment