Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Crockpot Lentil Soup

I gotta be honest.  I had never tasted lentils until my Mother-in-law made lentil soup for dinner one night.  They just weren't a part of my Mama's cooking repertoire.  But, I did eat a lot of black eyed peas growing up (one of my favorites).  You know what?  They kind of hit the same flavor notes.  Very similar tastes.  I really liked them.  Plus, when I looked at the nutritional value of lentils, I liked them even more.  They are low in fat and calories, full of fiber and a great source of protein!  Good for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.  Hint:  I use chicken broth in my recipe.  But, you can make this recipe vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth or water.

CROCKPOT LENTIL SOUP

1 lb dried lentils
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 quart chicken broth
2 cups water
Salt/pepper to taste

Spread the lentils out on a cookie sheet and look through them for any debris.  Rinse them well and drain.  Place chopped onions, carrots and celery in the crockpot.



Add the lentils.  Then, add the chicken broth and water.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Cover and cook on high 3 1/2 hours or on low 6-7 hours, until everything is tender.




This soup is easy, yummy and so good for you!  Win, win, win!

No comments:

Post a Comment