Sunday, November 3, 2013

Alex's Apple Crisp

My sweet neighbor brought us a bag of apples the other day.  My first thought?  Apple crisp!  So, today when my daughter, Alex, and I were home alone (the husband and son were gone to a baseball tournament) I asked her if she wanted to help me make one.  She offered to make the apple crisp all by herself.  Who am I to argue?  Especially when she offered to do the dishes too!  What a sweet kid!  How'd I get so lucky?  Here's how she did it:


ALEX'S APPLE CRISP

5 medium apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease an 8 inch square baking dish.  Peel the apples and slice into thin slices.  To keep them from turning brown, put them in a bowl of cold water with some lemon juice added. (or you can use a bowl of lemon-lime soda)



Spread the apples in the baking dish.



In a big bowl, stir brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice together.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until well mixed.  



Sprinkle this mixture over the apples.



Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.




Let cool for a bit before serving.



Alex did a great job on this apple crisp!  It was warm and gooey and spiced just right.  It made the entire house smell phenomenal, too!  Easy, delicious and perfect for Fall!  Give it a try, I know you'll like it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment