Sunday, April 13, 2014

Shrimp and Corn Soup

Shrimp and corn soup is my absolute favorite kind of soup ever!  When I go out to eat at a restaurant, if it's on the menu, I order it.  I just love the spiciness mixed with the sweetness of the corn, plus the creaminess.  Yum!  It's just plain delicious.  I had a recipe from years ago, but it was made with cream cheese and half and half, so it was very heavy.  I wanted to make a little bit of a lighter version.  Here's what I did:

SHRIMP AND CORN SOUP

1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined (I like to remove the tails, too)
1 stick unsalted butter
6 TBS flour
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 cups milk (I used 2% but whole is good, too)
2 cups chicken broth (or seafood stock if you have it)
2 cups frozen corn
Tony's (cajun seasoning)
2 green onions, sliced

Cook onion and bell pepper in butter until tender.  Season with Tony's.



Once the veggies are cooked down a bit, sprinkle in flour and let cook, stirring, for a few minutes.





Whisk in milk and broth.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.




Add corn and shrimp.  Cook until the shrimp are pink.  This doesn't take long at all.  Season again to taste.




Garnish with green onions.




This soup is awesome!  So delicious I couldn't stop eating it!  Plus, it's easy to make for a crowd, just double or triple the recipe.  If you like shrimp, this is a must try for you!  Perfect for the Lenten season and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment