Sunday, October 26, 2014

Silver Dollar Pumpkin Pie Pancakes with Butter Pecan Syrup

If you read my blog, you know I love everything about Fall (I won't shut up about it).  I am also a self-proclaimed pumpkin nut.  Since I will be cooking/baking/thinking about all things pumpkin, I thought I would bring you along for the ride on the pumpkin crazy train.

This morning, I whipped up Pumpkin Pie Pancakes.  And, as if that wasn't enough, I gilded the lily (or maybe gilded the pumpkin?) by making Butter Pecan Syrup to go with them.  Yum!  They were so good it was like eating dessert for breakfast.  But, pumpkin is so good for you that it's really a health food, if you think about it (You have to think really hard).

This recipe makes about 16 silver dollar sized pancakes.  It's very easy to double or triple depending on how hungry you are.

Here's how I did it:

SILVER DOLLAR PUMPKIN PIE PANCAKES

1 cup complete pancake mix (the kind where you only need to add water)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup pumpkin (not pie filling mix, pure pumpkin)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 tsp cinnamon + a pinch of nutmeg)

Place everything in a bowl and mix gently just until combined.  It's very important that you don't over mix.  Over mixing will cause your pancakes to be tough and nobody wants that.

Heat a skillet (I like cast iron) over medium-low heat.  Melt a little butter (or spray with cooking spray but we're making butter pecan syrup to go over these, so just use butter, seriously) in the skillet.  Using a small scoop (or a Tablespoon) drop batter into skillet (make sure it's hot first).  Don't overcrowd them.  I do about 4 at a time.




Let them cook until the edges start to set and the bottom is golden.  Gently flip each pancake over to cook on the other side.  They don't take long at all and always less time on the second side.  That's why I like to make small, silver dollar sized pancakes (They cook faster, I eat sooner).




Since you cook them in batches, as they are done, set them on a plate and loosely cover with foil.  This will keep them warm until you are finished cooking them all.




While the pancakes are cooking, make the syrup:

A note about the cane syrup:  I love Steen's brand.  It's made in Louisiana.  It's made from pure cane sugar (no preservatives or additives) and it's insanely delicious.  If you can't find cane syrup, you can substitute dark corn syrup or even regular pancake syrup.  But look for Steen's.  You will love it so much you just might write me a thank you note.





BUTTER PECAN SYRUP

1 cup dark cane syrup
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1 TBS butter (real butter, no substitute)

Heat everything together in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Once it comes to a gentle boil, turn it off.  Stir it well and let it sit until you're ready to eat pancakes.







I can honestly say, these are the best pancakes I have ever eaten.  The pumpkin makes them moist, the spices give them great flavor and the syrup, well let's just say I could take a bath in it (if it wasn't so sticky).  Make these.  Now.  Then go ahead and write me that Thank You note.  You're welcome. by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment