Friday, July 17, 2015

WOW Sour Cream Noodles

This recipe has a terrible name.  It literally means With Or Without sour cream noodles.  I named it that because you can serve it with or without sour cream.  My daughter and I love sour cream.  My husband and Pickiest Eater Ever Son, not so much.  I know the name is quite literal, but I couldn't come up with anything better.  I guess I was having a creative deficit day.  Anyway, my family made fun of me when I told them the name (we love to rib each other).  We all had such a laugh that I just couldn't change it.  That was years ago and we still laugh about the name.

It may have a bad name, but it's a good recipe.  It's quick, easy and yummy.  What more could you want in a weeknight meal?



WOW SOUR CREAM NOODLES

1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 lb pasta (rotini, penne, ziti, etc)
sour cream
sliced green onions to garnish, optional


Put a large pot of water on to boil.  That way it will be ready when you need to cook the pasta.

In a large skillet or pot, brown the ground beef.  Drain off the grease.  



In a bowl, mix together diced tomatoes (with juice) and dry onion soup mix.  I zip this in the blender because my picky boys don't like chunks of tomatoes, but it's not necessary.  Once mixed, pour into browned ground beef.


Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente (that just means that it's not mushy, it still has some bite to it).  Drain the pasta, then stir it into the beef mixture.


I used Tri-color Rotini pasta.  But, I have made this with Penne, Ziti, Shells, etc.  Use what you have.



Serve with a dollop of sour cream or without.  If you like, garnish with sliced green onions or chopped fresh parsley.


This is a family favorite because it's hearty and filling.  I like it because it's cheap to make, easy and quick.  A perfect weeknight meal with a not-so-perfect name.

No comments:

Post a Comment