Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Turkey Soup

In case you're wondering, yes the construction continues.  I was hoping we would be done by Christmas, but now I believe that might have been wishful thinking, seeing how today is December 1st and we still have a long way to go.  Oh well, I'll do my best to be merry and bright while my house is in shambles.  The show must go on, as they say.

I love left overs.  Always have.  I like to try to think of new ways to use them so that it's not just the same meal again.  Thanksgiving always leaves us with lots of left overs!  Everyone in my family makes too much.  We would rather have too much than not enough so we overdo it.  If you're like us and have left over turkey, here is a great way you can use it.  Turkey soup is a very easy recipe that warms you up while filling your belly.  It's perfect for those climates that actually have all four seasons.  Fall is my favorite time of the year, but I haven't seen much of it.  It seems this year, in South Louisiana, we're having two summers then skipping straight to winter.  No joke.  It was 81 degrees here yesterday and tomorrow night it will be in the 30s.  Go figure.  Anyway, when there is a chill in the air, this turkey soup is a great way to warm up.  Here's how I make it:




First off, I like to make my own turkey stock.  It's super easy and a great way to use up the turkey bones.  I'll tell you how to do it but if you don't want to, you can just use store bought turkey (or chicken) broth.

How to make turkey stock:  Debone the turkey (take all the meat off the bones).  Place some of the bones in a big pot and fill it with cold water.  Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 2 hours.  That's it.  So easy.  Remove the bones and ladle the stock through a fine mesh sieve to strain out any bits of turkey, etc.  You can keep this in the fridge for a few days or freezer for 4-6 months.

TURKEY SOUP

2 TBS oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cups diced left over cooked turkey
6 cups homemade turkey stock (Or 3 cups store bought broth + 3 cups water)
salt and pepper
2 cups pasta, uncooked (I like egg noodles or broken spaghetti)
chopped fresh parsley, optional

In a big pot (with a tight fitting lid), heat oil over medium-high heat.  Saute diced onion, celery and carrots until limp (a few minutes).  Season with a little salt and pepper.





Add the stock (or broth + water) and bring it to a boil.  Lower the heat and cover the pot.  Let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.



Add the noodles and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or so, until the noodles are cooked.



Finally, add the turkey (it's already cooked so you only need to warm it up).  Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.  Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.





That's it.  So easy to make plus very filling and delicious!  This is such a great way to use that left over turkey.  Don't get me wrong, I like a turkey sandwich as much as the next guy, but after a while you want something different.  Give this recipe a try and enjoy your left overs!







No comments:

Post a Comment