Friday, June 1, 2018

Tex Mex Black Bean Cornbread Casserole

Hello All,

So much has been going on here!  Both of my ankles have been bothering me.  I went to see my ortho and found out that I have tendonitis in one ankle and all kind of trouble with the other.  I'm wearing a braces on both and have been ordered to rest.  Sounds fun, right?  So, needless to say, I have not been cooking much.

I did make a really yummy casserole yesterday.  It's quick to throw together and get into the oven.  Then it bakes for an hour so I had time to rest.  Here's how I did it:



TEX MEX BLACK BEAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE

1 (20 oz) can black beans, drained
salt/pepper
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
1 large onion, chopped
8 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain the black beans.  Season them with salt and pepper.  Set aside. 

In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, milk, 3/4 tsp salt, baking soda, eggs, creamed corn, onion and cheese.  Stir well.  Gently mix in seasoned black beans.


Pour into a greased cast iron skillet (or casserole dish).  Place on a cookie sheet to catch any drips in case it bubbles over.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  Let cool 15 - 20 minutes before cutting.






This is really good.  It has a little spice from the cheese and a little sweetness from the creamed corn.  The beans make it very filling for a vegetarian dish.  If you're a carnivore, you can use a pound of browned ground beef in place of the beans.  With or without meat, this dish will not disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment