Friday, July 20, 2018

Chicken and Bacon Bow Ties

Hi Guys,

Sorry it's been a while.  I've been dealing with more ankle trouble.  Ugh.  But, life goes on and I just try to roll with it. 

I usually write a menu for the week, then make a grocery list based on what I need to make the dishes on my menu.  I always check the fridge, freezer and pantry to see what's there.  That way, I only buy what I need.  However, tonight I had to wing it.  There were a couple of boneless chicken breasts in the fridge that I needed to cook.  So, I scrounged around and found the ingredients to make Chicken and Bacon Bow Ties.  Wow!  It came out great!  Here's how I did it:




CHICKEN AND BACON BOW TIES

2 slices bacon, chopped
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 TBS butter, optional
12 oz bow tie pasta
Salt & Pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish

Put a big pot of water on to boil for the pasta.

Place the chopped bacon into a big skillet.  Then turn on the heat to medium.  Putting it in a cold skillet keeps it from shriveling up too much. 


Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is just crispy, careful not to over cook it.



Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.  Discard all but 1 TBS of the bacon grease.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper then add it to the hot skillet. 


Cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned on both sides.


Remove the chicken from the skillet.


Add the onions to the skillet.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden.



Add the diced tomatoes with juice.  Use your spoon to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet.  That's great flavor you want in your dish!



Then, smash the tomatoes with the spoon to release their juice even more.


Add chicken broth and return the chicken and bacon to the skillet.



Add the butter.  This is optional but it gives the sauce a nice silkiness. 


Now, let this simmer for 10-15 minutes to reduce and thicken.  If you time it right, your pasta should be done at the same time.


Drain the pasta then add it to the skillet.  Stir well to combine. 



You can garnish this pasta with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.  A little fresh basil or parsley would be nice, too.

This pasta was very good.  It had a slight smokiness from the bacon and a sweetness from the sauteed onion.  The whole family enjoyed it.  Then my daughter's friend came over and had some.  When I asked her if she liked it, she showed me her empty bowl.  So, I guess that's a yes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment